Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Pregnancy Post: Telling the Family

written in December 

Well, it's way too early to really be telling anyone, but we can't NOT tell our family.  I talk to my sisters almost daily and keeping a secret from them feels weird.  The problem with telling them is that our family gets excited, and they each have at least one or two people who they have to tell.  Multiply that by our 11 immediate family members, and well, news will travel quickly.  But we're lucky to have so many people supportive of us and our exciting news that we just decide to go with it.

First up, Grandpa Chip and Nanna, who happen to be in town two days after we find out.  We use the same trick on them that I used on Kip and tell them to check out Edward's beautiful artwork on the chalkboard in the basement.  Excitement, hugs and happiness all around.  And then stress because we inform them that they are not to tell a soul until we tell the rest of the family.  This will be difficult because we are planning on telling the rest of the family in person when we drive home to Dallas in a month.

So at this point, this is how everyone who knows feels.



However, plans changed and I ended up making the following movie one day when I was playing around.  I decided to show it to my family members over Skype so I could see their reaction. 





The different reactions were pretty hilarious, especially since I made them watch about 3 minutes of just pictures of Edward to Justin Bieber.  Some people didn't think twice about it and others were like, "umm, really Jennifer? This is embarrassing."

Reactions:
  • The Suze: Spent an hour just trying to get the video to work, at which point Kip and I had to leave for a movie so I told her absolutely not to watch it until we got back.  Just before the movie started I got a text: 

The Suze is not the best at following directions. Do you like how I have to lump myself in with Princess Kate? 
  • Laura: lots of screaming and crying on the phone
  • Elizabeth: "wait did you really just send me a slideshow of Edward to a Justin Bieber song?"
  • Meredith:  (sitting with her newish boyfriend, obviously feeling awkward about having to watch this video) "um did you just want me to watch this to see if it worked?"  we obviously made her watch the entire thing
  • Matt: turned the music off, he's not a Belieber
  • Grandpa Packy: After Laura had a mini-mental break down because she couldn't get the video to work to show him, maybe some tears, eyes popped out of his head as he exclaimed "Oh No!" (but what he meant was "oh yes!" he was just in shock)
  • Uncle Bo: He missed the first viewing with my dad

Um, just a huge announcement! Here's his reaction:



Whew! That was quite a post! But I wanted to preserve this memory.  Someday Little Robertson is going to look back at this post and read it.  So Little Robertson, when you're finally reading this, I want you to know how incredibly loved and wanted you are.  You don't even have to do anything to make us love you.  Every single person above (and many more not even mentioned) was moved to tears knowing that you would be joining our family.  We are so excited to meet you!

3 comments: